2019 UMVF BATTLE OF THE BURGERS
Friday, June 28th, 2019
To enter: Fill out this form and mail it to UMVF Rib cook-off, PO Box 785, Williston, ND58802
Or enter online at www.umvf.com
- The battle will be out front of the beer gardens on the UMVF fairgrounds.
- Side dish is NOT MANDATORY but there is a prize for it.
- No outside beer, wine or liquor products will be allowed on the fairgrounds or the cook-off.
- Each team is allowed 4 official team members and as many assistants as necessary.Each team will receive 4 door prize tickets.
- BBQ is the ONLY method of cooking allowed.You will be required to supply your own grill, utensils and serving supplies.Any type of grill is acceptable.Power is available if needed (LIMITED POWER AVAILABLE).If you have any special requirements, let us know ahead of time.
- The cooking and prep time is 5 hours. (11am to 4pm).
- Each team must provide 25lbs of burgers. Burgers will be quartered for taste testing of the public.
- To ensure fairness, all cooks must provide an ingredients list and recipe card at the mandatory cooks’ meeting. Once the recipe cards are in, teams will be expected to produce that burger.
- For the competition, burgers can consist of ground beef or ground alternatives including but not exclusive to: buffalo, bison, turkey, veal, black bean, salmon etc
- Competitors will create one (1) burger for appearance judging that will be in its own box.
- Competitors will create up to four (4) portions for judging (depending on the number of judges) placed in a second box. The entries in the second box will not be judged for appearance.
- Side dish must be constructed ON SITE.(You can pre-make noodles for a macaroni salad.Please email with any questions.)
- Burgers may include any combination of condiments, spreads, sauces, cheeses and toppings. Every component placed between the bun or bread pieces will be considered for judging. If a component to the burger, such as a sauce or condiment, exists outside of the bun or bread, it will not be judged.
- Judges will be instructed to judge each entry on Execution, Appearance and Taste. The numbering will rank from 1 to 10 in each of the three competition categories
- The UMVF board will provide each team with a container for judging and a blank copy of the judges score sheet.The judges are random and volunteer.
- You must provide plates and utensils to serve to the public. Public taste testing will be from 4-6:00pm.
- You are required to maintain cleanliness of the cooks, grills and cooking space.
- After cooking, burgers must be at 145 degrees or above.
- THE DECISION OF THE JUDGES IS FINAL.
- Prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place, Peoples Choice, best side dish and best decorated booth.
- Schedule as follows:
- 9am-begin setting up and decorating
- 11am-cooks meeting, you must have at least on team member in attendance
- 11am-you may begin cooking
- 3:50-4pm turn in your container for judging
- 4pm-6:00pm free public tasting begins
- 6:15pm awards
- 6:30-7:00pm For those wanting to leave with their grill that night, this will be the time to do so.You WILL have the option to leave it and pick up Saturday by 10am.
We will announce the winners as soon as judging ends
We ask that each team or sponsor consider donating a door prize if possible.We will have Rock-paper-scissors tournament, corn eating contest, corn hole contest and yard games going all day!